GDSNZ members enjoy a stimulating range of events including speakers, both international and local experts in their field, practical workshops and a variety of site visits. An active Events Committee also organises group trips to explore gardens and visit specialist suppliers of plants, landscaping materials, garden art and sculpture in other parts of the country. Group visits to conferences and garden events both here and abroad are encouraged and supported. All of these activities provide plenty of opportunity to exchange ideas and keep in touch with the latest developments in the industry.
We welcome non-members to our evening talks held during the winter months for a nominal charge of $10. Wine and nibbles are provided with an extra small charge for drinks.
PAST EVENTS AND NEWS
- Tue, Sep 07WebinarSep 07, 7:30 PM GMT+12WebinarFor the first time ever GDSNZ will be hosting a purely online event, so wherever you are in New Zealand (or the world), you will be able to join us. James Basson - lead designer of Scape Design will be coming to us LIVE via zoom webinar from London, where he is currently based.
- Tue, Jul 27Eden Community ChurchJul 27, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PMEden Community Church, 72-74 View Road, Mount Eden, Auckland 1024, New ZealandOur famous Pechakucha night is back! Like speed dating but with designers! We will hear from 8 of our accredited members and they will speak to 20 slides for 8 seconds each... so interesting and entertaining.
- Tue, Jun 29Garden Design Society New Zealand
- Wed, Jun 23Eden Community Church, AucklandJun 23, 7:45 PM – 9:15 PMEden Community Church, Auckland, 72-74 View Road, Mount Eden, Auckland 1024, New ZealandThree current members of the Garden Design Society of New Zealand have been chosen to join the elite! Fellow is the highest award of recognition by the society and we will be announcing THREE new Fellows.
- GDSNZ AGM 2021Wed, Jun 23Eden Community ChurchJun 23, 7:00 PM – 9:20 PMEden Community Church, 72-74 View Road, Mount Eden, Auckland 1024, New ZealandThe 2021 AGM will wrap up the year that has been for GDSNZ. We will break for drinks and nibbles then sit back and find out WHO our three new FELLOWS are... citations will be read, digital images will be showed and certificates presented. Do join us for this special celebration!
- Sat, Mar 27Garden Design Society New Zealand
- Thu, Feb 25Eden Community Church & Livestream
- Thu, Dec 03115 The Strand, Parnell, AucklandDec 03, 2020, 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM115 The Strand, Parnell, Auckland, 115 The Strand, Parnell, Auckland 1010, New ZealandDawson & Co would like to invite you to view the 2020 outdoor collection from DEDON, Tribu and Cove Outdoor. Take in the latest international designs from some of the world's leading outdoor furniture makers with a light lunch and refreshments.
- Thu, Dec 03This is a GDS financial members only eventDec 03, 2020, 10:30 AMThis is a GDS financial members only eventFULLY BOOKED Fernando Caruncho is an International Landscape designer and philosopher. Famous for his minimalist gardens. Caruncho has designed a garden in St Heliers, Auckland and GDSNZ have been granted a very special opportunity to visit.
GDSNZ XMAS PARTY AT AUCKLAND ZOO
2pm, 28th November at Auckland Zoo
We're all going to the zoo!
That's right! Our 2020 Xmas party is going to be at Auckland Zoo on Saturday 28th November, 2020.
2pm - 4pm Meet at the South East Asia Jungle track. Guided tour/talk of the newly opened primate habitat for orangutans and siamangs by Jon Palby, Lead Designer of the Sculptural Interpretations featured in the new South East Asia Precinct. We then hope to walk through parts of Ta Wao Nui (time permitting).
4 - 5.30pm Afternoon tea including tea and coffee in the Elephant House Cafe and outdoor area
Cost: $10 GDS members, $25 non-members (includes tour/talk and nibbles), $10 children under 15 years. Drinks available at your own expense.
Zoo entry: $24 adults (15 years +), $19 Seniors/Students (with ID), $13 children (5 - 14 years)
Everybody pays their own zoo entry and arrives whenever they want in time to have a wander around the zoo, see the animals or areas they want to, then meet the group at 2pm. The afternoon tea has been subsidised by GDS and drinks will be available to purchase.
RSVP by Thursday 19th November to Val Puxty: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment for afternoon tea asap to VM Puxty 38-9008-0818502-06
Suggested itinerary for whoever arrives early... Lunch at Te Puna Cafe or Lookout cafe or bring picnic. Visit the areas of the zoo that we won't be walking through (eg African Safari, parts of Te Wao Nui). 2pm meet at the South East Asia Jungle Track entrance.
Jon Parlby - Bio
Jon is an Auckland based Designer, originally from the South West of England. He is a multidisciplinary designer having worked across a broad range of design fields. He draws inspiration from contemporary architecture and aims to push the boundaries of material capabilities. Jon led the design of the Sculptural Interps that are featured in the new South East Asia Precinct at Auckland Zoo. Along with his work in design Jon also lectures on the Industrial Design Course at AUT and tinkers with furniture making in his workshop.
The Design Process
Successes and Challenges
Designing for Destruction